Sleep is a significant necessity for everyone. After a long tiring day, you look forward to getting relaxed. But motherhood is a little different. As much as you love your baby, chances are you haven’t had a proper sleep in weeks.
And left unchecked, the sleep deprivation isn’t going anywhere. Taking care of your baby is complicated enough on its own. But taking care of your baby and the rest of the family while experiencing sleep deprivation is dangerous.
According to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than 100,000 accidents result from drowsy driving. Sleep is important.
So how can you sleep like a baby when you have so many responsibilities? Try these:
- Discuss your sleep needs with your partner. When you’re pregnant, it’s easy to think that you can do without sleep. But your body needs sleep!
- Talk about how much sleep you need and when you need it with your partner. You can have this discussion even before you get home with the baby.
- It’s better to have this discussion early because your partner may be able to change some things around your house to make sleeping easier.
- You may also want to opt for a babysitter or a nurse who can come in at set times to take care of the baby so that you can get some rest.
- Drive away any temptation to take on more responsibility. When you’re at home with your baby, it’s easy to feel tempted to take on more and more responsibility. But it’s essential to keep in mind that you need rest.
- Don’t make yourself responsible for more than you can handle. For example, you might feel guilty about the reduced amount of time you give your oldest son. The temptation to volunteer for a class trip might surface.